Tuesday 3 September 2013

August 20, 2013 Wintry Mix

 I have spent the past few weeks settling into what will be my normal life for the next year, and I’m still having a great time as I become more comfortable with my surroundings. Now I know my regular routines for taking care of my charges, and I’m reaching out to new people and exploring different activities and parts of the city. In general, I believe I’m settling in quite nicely. I can’t believe I’ve been here an entire month!
People back home have asked me about the earthquakes that hit NZ recently, but they were much farther south from where I live, so we haven’t been affected here at all. More noticeable has been the nasty turn in the weather, which stayed cloudy, windy, and drizzling for much of the past couple of weeks. This picture pretty much sums up a typical winter day here, so I’ve been wearing out my rain coat.
The last newsletter conveyed that my top challenges were driving and understanding Kiwi-speak, so I’m happy to report that I’m conquering both! The roads are now easier to navigate, and although I’ve taken the scenic route to more than one destination, I’m familiarizing myself with street names and traffic patterns. That said, driving is hindered here because the street signs are rather sparse, so when I do get mixed up going to new places, I have a lot of trouble figuring out where I am. Communication still remains the most common obstacle for me (see the vocabulary section), but I’m more comfortable with asking others to clarify what they said.
More Kiwi vocabulary:
  • Marmite – a horrible, horrible spread they put on toast here. It tastes like salty tar, and it’s probably about as nutritious.
  • lemonade – Sprite. I’ll need to introduce them to actual lemonade.
  • pudding – any dessert one eats after a meal, whether or not it’s actually a pudding
  • zed – what they call the letter “z”… but they still pronounce it “zee” when singing their ABC’s. Confuzing.
  • flash – fancy
  • buggered – broken; the fate of many toys around the house
  • whinge – whine; what the kids do when a toy’s buggered
  • knackered – exhausted
  • Pardon? (pronounced “PAH-den?”) – what they say when they want you to repeat yourself. I’m slowly adopting this 

My focus for the past few weeks has been to find ways to meet locals and get away from au pair-related atmospheres when I’m not working. That has included going to yoga classes and joining a very laid-back water polo team—so laid back that they don’t hold practices, they just show up once a week to play games. I didn’t score any goals in my first game, but don’t worry: I intend to bring honor and glory to America with my water polo moves before the end of the season.
Another cultural outing was couple weeks ago when I went to trivia at a restaurant. I thought that I probably wouldn’t do that well since most of the questions would be oriented toward locals. I was right. I talked a German au pair into going with me (I wanted our team name to be something like “Foreign the Afternoon,” but we settled on a portmanteau of our names), and we came in dead last. At least a third of the questions were about cricket, rugby, or soccer, and a good number involved pop culture that only Kiwis would know. However, I did score a point for knowing that the New York Giants are a football team, and my social studies education degree served me well on geography questions. Regardless of the pitiful score, we had a good time!
I must say, though, that even though I’m still very excited to be here, I certainly have moments where I miss what’s going on at home. I missed being at the end-of-season banquet for my lifelong swim team. I’m now missing coaching another season of fall water polo. I have missed and will be missing family members’ birthdays. It’s a comfort, though, to know that all those I wish I could share those moments with are thinking of me here and miss me. I’m glad I have lots of someones to write home to!
However, instead of letting myself get homesick, I embrace all the opportunities to encounter new things, and occasionally I have my camera with me as I do. The picture on the next page is actually from the ferry ride to Waiheke that I wrote about in my last letter. The tall, pointed structure you see in both photos is the Sky Tower, which was once the tallest structure in the southern hemisphere and remains (as far as I can tell) the only recognizable feature in the Auckland skyline. Hopefully in the next month I’ll get a chance to venture outside of Auckland, so stay tuned for more pictures of my adventures.

—Lenora

No comments:

Post a Comment