Sunday 1 March 2015

July 25, 2014 Sydney

When I said goodbye to Jordan in the Sydney airport, I greeted another partner-in-crime, my then-boyfriend, James. (We’re still in touch, and still friends!) He had been to Sydney before but didn't get to see much of the city the first go-around, so because he was eager to see numerous things and I had spent most of my trip-planning on Jordan's time, I agreed to follow his lead on the itinerary.
I’m admittedly a history nerd, so skip to the next red bit if you find history boring.
However, before we jumped into the tours that James begged to do, we spent an afternoon with my pal Gina during her layover between Auckland and Perth. We three wandered around the harbor and made our way to the Maritime Museum, where we climbed aboard a sub, a battle ship (HMS Vampire), and a replica of the HMS Endeavor. Endeavor was the ship that Captain James Cook sailed while exploring Australia and NZ during the eighteenth century, and its small size shocked me. After seeing the living conditions—even though it was one of the best during that time—I have a lot more respect for those sailors.
The next day, James and I did a hop-on/hop-off bus tour that wove through the city and also went out to the nearby beaches. I enjoyed hearing some of the stories, I liked the freedom of the bus service to determine our own schedule, and I loved getting to visit Bondi Beach, but I much prefer exploring on foot. We did this as part of a tour one night (through the Rocks), but mostly did so on our own. During the Rocks tour, our guide told us about the shady past of The Hero of Waterloo, one of Sydney's oldest pubs: in the nineteenth century, young men were shanghaied by transporting them directly to the docks through a tunnel in the basement. After that tour, we stopped in and asked the bartender if he'd show us the passageway, and because it was a slow night, he agreed! We descended a narrow wooden staircase and went through a musty storage room, and there was the opening to the now-bricked-in tunnel. An old chain on the wall added to the eerie effect.
 
Other places we saw included Hyde Parkand the Hyde Park Barracks. The latter saw many uses during its 200 year history: a prison, an immigrant processing center, a women’s home, and a government administration office. Now it exists as a museum in various phases of restoration to recognize each of those phases and the many lives that passed through it.
Non-cultured readers pick up reading here:
 
We also went to Chinatown and wound through the maze of stalls in a market; we went to an underwhelming history museum; we stood slack-jawed in the Queen Victoria Building, a nineteenth-century shopping mall; and we walked along the Circular Quay numerous times. We also went to the top of the SydneyTower, which does provide aerial views of the city, but Auckland’s Sky Tower easily wins in comparison.
I enjoyed Sydney not only because it's a nice place, but also because I got to calmly absorb and enjoy it. After a jam-packed two weeks with a relentlessly side-splitting cough (ask me sometime about “gees linctus”), I finally recovered and got to meander through a vibrant city with good friends. I even went for a relaxing swim—but in an indoor pool since every horrible sea creature known to man lives in Australian waters. “But we don’t know about every marine animal yet, and in fact more are constantly being discovered,” I hear you thinking. The worst ones will always be in Australia. Always.


When my time in Australia came to an end, I flew on to the next leg of my adventure: Samoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment