Monday 9 February 2015

July 12, 2014 End of NZ

My final month living in NZ seemed like a whirlwind. I spent that time traveling through parts of NZ, Australia, and Samoa, and my trip was spent at different times with three of my dearest friends.
Jordan, one of my best friends since high school, was the only one from home who loved me enough to come visit me this year (are you reading this, Mom and Dad?). We combined my travel experience and his reading travel books to cobble together a two-week itinerary split between NZ and Australia.
Most of the time in NZ was spent in Auckland (flooding in Northland forced us to cancel going there), but we did make it to Queenstown and Milford Sound for a couple of days. Queenstown sits by a lake among mountains of the Southern Alps; it was chilly even in the summer, so being there in the winter was just plain cold. While there, we rode the gondola up a steep mountainside to ride on luges and to see the spectacular views made even more astonishing by a sunset electrifying the snowcapped mountains and casting shadows on the dark lake below. We also took a day-long excursion to Milford Sound (including stops at Mirror Lakes and a raging river), which was stunning on a rainy day when I visited last December, and it was still incredible on the clear summer day when I returned there with Jordan. I was so glad that Jordan got to see the South Island; it is truly stunning, and I hope the fjord lived up to his expectations since it was the only sight his heart was set on. 
Our time in Auckland included excursions to some of my favorite places, and I really enjoyed showing my new life and home to someone who knew me long before I came here. Waiheke Island, where we wandered around a winery above a small bay, was gorgeous (pictures). When I took Jordan to many spots, I loved sharing them and got an opportunity to bid my farewells: Takapuna Beach was the setting for many of my swim practices and races; Mt. Eden, one of the city’s extinct volcanoes, has some of the best views of the city and surrounding waters; The Harbour Bridge, which links the city to the North Shore, is a sight in itself and also has my favorite vantage points of Rangitoto and the city.

Our final night was spent out with my pals at our favorite haunt in the CBD, and the next morning, we flew to Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment