Tuesday 24 December 2013

Dec 23, 2013 Northland III: Cape Reinga

Day three was the longest. I took an all-day tour to the northernmost accessible part of NZ, Cape Reinga, and we made some interesting stops along the way. See all photos here.
 
We drove a couple hours on the highway (which is what they call a winding, two-lane road) and then reached Ninety-Mile Beach. This stretch of sand extends along the northwestern coast toward the Cape, and despite its catchy name, is only 64 miles (and not even 90km). The bus drove the full length entirely on the sand, and often within reach of the waves, all the while with the driver encouraging passengers to approach the front of the bus where he would take his eyes and both hands off the wheel to snap photos for them. He assured us he’d been driving the route for 18 years, and surprisingly I never really felt in danger.

After passing the narrowest bit of beach we stopped to take in the view, and after that made our way to the Te Paki sand dunes. Once there, the braver passengers (including me) trudged to the top of a dune to catch the ride down. I’ve never been one for heights but after making such a massive climb, I was too out of breath to be apprehensive about riding a foam board down the slope with nothing but sunglasses and summer clothing for protection. Even though I my body was caked with sand once I reached the bottom, the ride was so fantastic that I climbed up and did it again!
We then headed toward what I most looked forward to: Cape Reinga. This spot not only marks the northern tip of the country, but also offers the incredible vantage point to see the Tasman Sea and Pacific Ocean collide. The ancient Maori held this spot sacred, because they believed it to be the place where spirits of the deceased journeyed and then leapt into the water to make their way to paradise. I can see why someone could take in such a location and perceive it as something quite spiritual; it was certainly awesome for this traveler. The views really took my breath away, and it’s one place that I don’t think I’ll ever forget.  


After leaving the Cape, we briefly stopped for lunch (yet another peanut butter-Vogel sandwich for this girl), where I discovered that two of my fellow passengers on the tour were Americans. This young couple from Texas was celebrating their tenth anniversary, and they had already been through the South Island a few weeks prior. I do love traveling and meeting people from all over the world, but there’s a certain kind of comfort that comes from hearing American accents (and Southern ones, at that). Listening to their experience on the South Island—where I’m headed next week—was definitely a plus as well.
The last stop before we returned to the Bay of Islands was the Manginangina Kauri Walk. If I hadn’t already seen a kauri forest a couple of days prior, I probably would have been in awe of this setting, but at the time my fatigue from all the bus riding outweighed my interest in seeing more kauri trees. The walk in Whangarei also extended much farther than this Manginangina walk.

We finally made our way back to Paihia, where I reflected on how much I had covered in a single day before once again collapsing on my bed in record time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment